Wednesday, February 24, 2010

BEER#4: UNIBROUE CHAMBLY NOIRE



The fourth beer I chose to film was Unibroue Chambly Noire. I have had many of the Unibroue beers and have enjoyed most of them. I would like to visit the brewery someday if I ever go back to the Montreal area. The thing I notice most about their ales is the presence of a highly yeasty flavor, it seems like a signature to them. They list this as a "Black Ale" on their website.

WHAT I LIKED ABOUT THIS BEER: Pretty nice looks. The smell and the taste have nice yeast and roasted malt elements to them. There is also a bit of a smokey note to it. I also get dark fruits and alcohol in the taste. The fruits give it a minor wine-like characteristic. The mouthfeel is good, especially the carbonation (noticed this in most Unibroue beers). The price is good and allows it to be sessionable (I got it for $9/4 pack). Worth a shot for dark beer/Belgian beer enthusiasts.

Things that could use change or improvement for me. The head forms nicely but needs more retention. The lacing was almost non-existent as well. I like the yeast notes but I think they could be toned down a tiny bit. The mouthfeel would be world class if the body was a tiny bit thicker.

FINAL GRADE: 3.75 / 5 = B (for nice flavor and mouthfeel, a good Belgian Dark Ale)

No comments:

Post a Comment