Friday, February 12, 2010

BEER#2: FOUNDERS IMPERIAL STOUT



The second beer I chose to film was Founders Imperial Stout. I have had it a few times and figured I might as well film it. I like most of the shots on this one but the last one, still learning. I think the picture I took of the Pyrenees Mountains near Queralbs, Spain goes great as the backdrop of this one.

WHAT I LIKED ABOUT THIS BEER: The looks are nice for an Imperial Stout. The beer looks like oil and the head is coffee colored. The head beats out most I see on Imperial Stouts and leaves a creamy layer on top of the beer indefinitely. It also left very good lacing! The aroma is good and consists of the expected roasted malts, cocoa notes and some coffee notes (from the malts). The taste is better than the aroma and consists of the same elements but at a better strength and balance. There is a hop element to the taste that backs the malts very well. The MOUTHFEEL is my favorite part of this one. This is the thickest beer I have ever had. It has an almost milkshake consistency and some alcohol warmth that compliment the flavor perfectly. The price at $11 per 4-pack is amazing for an Imperial of this quality. For me it is dangerously drinkable at 10.50% ABV. I could drink a few of these at any one time but won't because I would rather enjoy this one thoroughly one at a time.

The only thing I would change in this beer is the aroma. The smell is good and necessary elements are there but alcohol vapors keep it from being great.

FINAL GRADE: 4.55 / 5 = A+ (for excellent looks and mouthfeel, great taste and drinkability)

1 comment: