Saturday, February 20, 2010

BEER#3: FLYING DOG SNAKEDOG IPA



The third beer I chose to film was Flying Dog SnakeDog IPA. I had bought a six pack of this because it was one of the most affordable craft beers in the store I was visiting. I also had a craving for some hops. I took this wintry picture while snowboarding at Sugarbush Mountain in Vermont.

WHAT I LIKED ABOUT THIS BEER: It was good looking with an orange-amber body that had a creamy head with good retention. The smell had fresh hops of the earthy, citrus and fruity variety. The taste also had fresh hops of the same varieties. The malts come through a good amount for an IPA and help balance the hops out. There was nothing to complain in the feel of the beer. It had a medium body with moderate carbonation and a coat of bitterness. I would say this beer is a good session beer because of the nice hop flavors are and the price is very affordable (for a well made craft beer).

I would make a few changes to this. The aroma could use a bit more strength in all aspects. The flavor is a bit overly bitter. If this was toned down, the flavor would score a few more points. I would also be happy if there was a bit more creaminess/body to the feel of the beer.

FINAL GRADE: 3.8 / 5 = B+ (for nice fresh hop aroma and taste; overall a well-rounded, sessionable beer)

No comments:

Post a Comment