Monday, March 22, 2010

BEER#7: PORTSMOUTH IMPERIAL PORTER



The seventh beer I chose to film was Portsmouth Imperial Porter. I picked up a growler of this on Kate the Great Day because I missed out on bottles of KtG. I didn't do a green screen effect on this one because I was homebrewing at the time of filming. I think it came out pretty nice this way and may do more like this in the future.

WHAT I LIKED ABOUT THIS BEER: Overall it was a solid Baltic porter. The ABV was hidden very well and it had most of the nice aspects of a porter. The taste and smell both had good notes of nice roast malt, cocoa, earthy hops and fruit notes. I really liked the mouthfeel which was very creamy and also a bit warm and bitter. It certainly went down smoothly for a 9%ABV ale.

The appearance was nice but the head could use a bit more size and retention. The nose definitely was a bit weak (strength wise) and was hard to pick up after a while. The beer also seemed a tiny bit less than an Imperial Porter, it tasted and felt more like a regular porter to me (a bit too smooth maybe).

FINAL GRADE: 3.95 / 5 = B+ (for great mouthfeel, good taste, looks and drinkability)

No comments:

Post a Comment